Home » FAQs

FAQs

THE LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT AND THE PLACEMENT TEST

What are the rules governing the language requirement?

Hunter College’s official policy is stated here.

I studied French in high school. Can I be exempted?

Students who have successfully completed 4 full years of French in high school can apply for exemption with a Hunter College Academic Advisor.  Such courses must have been taken in high school.  French courses taken in middle school do not count.  An official high school transcript must be presented. If you have taken between 1 and 3 years of French in high school, you would normally take the language placement test. 

I’m a transfer student. Do I need to fulfill the language requirement?

Please consult this page and select the link that describes your situation to find out.

I passed the New York State Regents Exam in French.  Does that exempt me?

No.  If you scored a 3 or higher on the French AP Exam, you may be exempted from FREN 202.  No other exam is valid.

I graduated from a high school in France or a French-speaking country.  Am I exempt from FREN 202?

Yes!  Contact a French advisor. You will need an official high school transcript or diploma.

I successfully completed an advanced college French course that has a fourth-semester prerequisite.  Am I exempt from FREN 202?

Yes!  Contact a French advisor.

This is my last semester and I just found out that I need to fulfill my language requirement. What should I do?

Uh oh!  You should not have waited so long to address this issue.  Contact your Hunter College Academic Advisor immediately. Unfortunately, it is very likely that you will need to stay one or more semesters to fulfill the requirement.

My current French class is too easy. How do I get placed into the right level?

Contact your advisor. We will approximate your level of proficiency based on an informal interview.

Who should take the placement test?

Normally, you are encouraged to take the placement test if you need to fulfill the language requirement, and if:

• you have had between 1 and 3 years of language in high school;
  • more than 2 years has passed since your last foreign language course;
  • you have some knowledge of language but never studied it formally;
  • you have had additional exposure to the language through family, school, travel or work connections.

REGISTRATION FOR LANGUAGE CLASSES (FREN 101-202)

The section of the language class I wanted/needed to take is full.

We do not over-tally. Please check CUNYfirst regularly, as seats may open up over the course of the enrollment period and (especially) during the first days of class.

I have been placed on the waiting list for my language class.  How does it work?

Unfortunately, the waiting list is deceiving.  It is used by Hunter administrators to gauge which courses have the most demand. The computer does not automatically add you to the section you want when someone gives up a seat.  Students on the waiting list have to add the class manually.  Nor does the waiting list respect the order in which you are listed.  Someone not on the list could theoretically take an open seat before you see it.  Seats for all classes are offered on a first come, first served basis.  

The waitlist for the language class I want is quite long.  Will another section of that course be opened?

Not necessarily.  The computer does not always remove students from the waiting list once they have registered.  More important, the opening of new sections depends on the availability of personnel to teach them as well as sufficient funds.

There are seats available in the section of the language class I want, but CUNYfirst says that they are being held. What do I do?

Every semester the Hunter Administration reserves a certain number of seats for transfer students and for Learning Community students. Just because these seats are being held does not mean that they will fill up. Typically, the hold will be lifted from two to four weeks before the start of the next semester. So, for the spring semester, it lifts in the middle of January. For the fall semester, it lifts in August. You must check CUNYfirst vigilantly to register at the first possible opportunity.

Do you offer the intensive FREN 103 and FREN 203?

We offer the 6-credit courses FREN 103 (intensive elementary French) and FREN 203 (intensive intermediate French) every other semester. Check the Schedule of Classes on CUNYfirst for the Spring, Summer, and Fall terms to find out more.

REGISTRATION FOR UPPER-LEVEL FRENCH CLASSES (FREN 220 AND BEYOND)

I don’t meet the course prerequisites listed on CUNYfirst, but I’m interested in taking the course.

You will have to ask permission from a French advisor (find current hours on the homepage).

I meet the course prerequisites listed on CUNYfirst, but I still can’t register.

Please speak to a French advisor. When you email, your message must include the following information: your full name, your Empl ID, the course number (and section number, if applicable), and the reason CUNYfirst listed for the failed registration (e.g., “Needs departmental permission”).

Library OneSearch

Enter your search term and click Search to find an item in the CUNY catalog.